KHC Job Description
Job Title: Asset Compliance Specialist I
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Work Group: Multifamily Compliance
GENERAL PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
Performs program monitoring and compliance reviews for adherence to state and federal rules, regulations, policies, and related statutes for assigned KHC funded projects. Prepares written responses and provides technical assistance to recipients that are monitored. Documents and tracks all compliance reviews to ensure timely completion and adherence to federal guidelines. Assists in the development of compliance tools, procedure manuals and compliance guidelines when necessary.
Responsible for oversight of the Annual Performance Reports (APR) process for all rental programs (Housing Credit, HOME, AHTF, SMAL, HAF and Housing Credit/RHS) and review of Housing Credit Owner’s Annual Certifications for compliance.
This position has the potential to work from home or a satellite office. Extensive travel is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: List the job's essential or most important functions and responsibilities. Include all important aspects of the job - whether performed daily, weekly, monthly, or annually; and any that occur at irregular intervals. (Continue this list on another sheet if necessary.)
Major Areas of Responsibility
(List in priority order)
- Conducts on-site compliance monitoring reviews of recipients; prepares necessary follow-up correspondence. This includes oversight of the APR process.
- Ensures that project databases and spreadsheets are updated accurately and timely. Provides information for required reports to management.
- Reviews and updates monitoring tools; remains current with program regulations and requirements.
- Provides technical assistance to housing partners and assists with compliance training initiatives, as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required of the Position
- Federal housing programs, laws and regulations
- Grant programs/compliance monitoring
- Word processing/spreadsheet applications such as Microsoft Word/Excel
- Basic rules of grammar and business writing
- Basic mathematic principles
- Collecting, analyzing and evaluating data
- Dealing with a diverse group of external and internal contacts at all levels
- Analyzing problems and reaching solutions
- Plan and organize work activities
- Prepare reports
- Present ideas effectively
- Handle sensitive/confidential information
- Travel extensively
- Develop work plans and implement projects independently
- Work in unsupervised environment
Position requires knowledge of MS Office Suite products. Position requires ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people, including external contacts as well as cross-departmental teams; ability to work in a team and as an individual to gain consensus; ability to multitask; ability to deal effectively with conflict; ability to work well under high pressure situations; ability to plan and present ideas effectively, both verbally and in writing. Position requires strong analytical skills, including problem-solving and attention to detail. Knowledge of state and federal housing programs helpful
Position requires extensive travel to conduct on-site inspections. As a result, safety precautions must always be considered.
Education Requirements: This level of knowledge would normally be acquired through completion of a bachelor’s degree in business administration, accounting, finance, management, real estate or related field. Four years’ related experience may be substituted for degree requirements.
Experience Requirements: Position requires a minimum of one year’s experience working in a responsible position in a professional environment, or in a position requiring knowledge of affordable housing programs, audit or compliance. Experience working with the administration of affordable housing programs preferred.
- In-state: >50%
- Out-of-state: <50%
- Overnight: <50%
Additional Information: Work may require use of personal vehicle to travel extensively throughout the state to conduct compliance reviews. May require overnight stay. May require out-of-state travel to attend trainings or conferences.
Written Communication: Is able to write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles. Has the ability to get messages across that have the desired effect.
Customer Focus: Dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers.
Ethics and Values: Adheres to the corporate values of respect, commitment and integrity.
Organizational and Priority Setting Skills: Sets goals and objectives; identifies roadblocks; uses time effectively and efficiently and is able to handle uncertainty and cope with change.
Initiative: Effectively completes assigned tasks, seeks additional opportunities and continuously strives to improve skills and abilities.